A Florida man claims one of his Apple AirPods recently overheated in his ear, then blew up.
Jason Colon was working out a gym in St. Petersburg, Fla., listening to music on his wireless earbuds when “white smoke start billowing out,” he told Tampa news outlet WFLA. “It’s the craziest thing I ever went through.
When he noticed something was up, Colon removed the AirPods$159.00 at Apple Store from his ears, placed them on a piece of workout equipment, and walked away to get help, according to the report. When he got back, he was shocked to see that the right AirPod had popped open, exposing its charred innards.
“I didn’t see it happen, but I mean, it was already fried,” he told WFLA. “You can see flame damage.”
Apple did not immediately respond to PCMag’s request for comment, but a spokeswoman told WFLA that the company is investigating the incident and will reach out to Colon, who was not injured.
One Australian woman knows all too well what could have happened. Last March, the woman was sleeping on a plane when the pair of Beats headphones she was wearing exploded, casing injuries to her face and neck. Apple, which owns Beats, reportedly refused to compensate the woman for the incident, claiming a faulty third-party battery caused the headphones to explode.
Source: PC Magazine | By Angela Moscaritolo | February 9, 2018 3:52PM EST | https://www.pcmag.com/news/359134/florida-mans-apple-airpod-started-smoking-blew-up-he-says
Micro Tech Resources | 26250 Industrial Blvd, Hayward, CA 94545 | 510.531.3582